Monday, May 25, 2015

Building excitement for the big move

Over the past couple of weeks, I've only had a couple of second thoughts about our impending move to Orlando.  However most of those thoughts have centered on "how are the kids going to adapt to this?"  It's already a bit overwhelming to be a toddler or starting kindergarten, but to throw in a move that's 12 hours drive from what they only known has to be a challenge.  Luckily, I've had some of hose fears allayed tonight.

One of my favorite ways to get my Disney parks fix is to watch YouTube videos of rides, shows, and parades.  Usually, we sit the kids down on the couch with their bedtime snacks and throw a video up on the TV.  Tonight, as the wife (known as K from here on out) was making dinner, I realized that Disneyland's 60th anniversary celebrations have kicked off this week.  So, I decided to check out the new Paint the Night Parade.  Within seconds, my daughter (now referred to as Princess) was jumping up and down, screaming at the TV "DADDY, IT'S MICKEY!!!"  That's when it hit me that we're making the right decision for us.

I've always wanted the kids to grow up and experience everything they possibly can.  Why not have them experience it in a world of magic and wonder?  The cynical among us might think that I'm wrong to have my children grow up in a world of make-believe or surrounded by so much commericalism.  I say that every child should have a sense of wonderment about their world.  To be so serious and to grow up so quickly takes the imagination out of your soul.  I don't want that for my kids.  There's many of times that Buzz (my son) talks about the theme park that he's built in his head. Or course, I do anything I can to encourage this, but what happens when he's forced to grow up? Should that imagination die with the maturation process?  Honestly, there's enough bad in this world that our kids get exposed to.  If I can keep that imagination or sense of wonderment alive, I think that they'll have a foundation to do whatever they set their minds to.  That's why this move really makes sense to K and me.  The kids get that have that sense of wonderment that I want them to have.  Nothing makes me happier than seeing their eyes light up and their imaginations run wild.  This excites me to no end and I can't wait until I can walk through those turnstiles again.

-E

For reference, here's the link to the Paint the Night Parade video.  I hope you agree with me that it's pretty spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment